Al's Photography Blog

Al's Photography Blog
Pikes Peak As Seen From Our House

Monday, August 13, 2018

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park

Obviously Hiroshima is famous for the atomic bombing, and while the city is now a modern, thriving metropolis, they have preserved parts of the past, including creating the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park. This is the Memorial Cenotaph, through which the famous dome is visible.
When we were there, many schoolchildren were visiting; it's obviously a very important historical location.
This display includes items exposed to the blast.
I try to stay nonpolitical on this blog, but this place makes a person very aware of the utter futility of war and imperialism. The lack of historical understanding in the modern world, along with the spread of widely-believed lies, makes me very nervous that we're headed into a very dark time. And that's my lecture for Our World Tuesday.

13 comments:

  1. Never been to that city but I agree with your sentiments

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time I travel outside the US, I am reminded of the horrors of war in one way or another - defense systems, museums, family stories of deprivation in wartime. We would do well to heed these reminders! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and these provocative photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with your fears and point of view. It seems as if we haven't learned anything from the horrors of the wars that have gone before...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow capture . Please tell something about my captures on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, hopefully history will never repeat. I am more afraid with our current president than I have been in the past. Thanks for sharing your visit to the memorial. Enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful tribute place and lovely photos! Such a sad event, though.

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores,
    aka (A Creative Harbor)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sobering!

    http://calrat.blogspot.com/2018/08/san-francisco-madame-tussauds.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a significant memorial to the horrors of war. I totally agree with your sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pots and pictures of the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - I love reading them and look forward to viewing your blog. If you only allow Google+ comments I won't be able to leave a comment in return.

Related Posts with Thumbnails