Al's Photography Blog

Al's Photography Blog
Pikes Peak As Seen From Our House

Monday, October 8, 2018

Hoosier Pass

When in Breckenridge last weekend I hiked from the top of Hoosier Pass. This mountain road tops out at 11,542 ft (3,518 m) above sea level and is open year-round; in fact it's the road I take when I go skiing, just driving a regular car.
Since it's a mountain pass, that means that it goes over a low point (in this case over the Continental Divide) and is surrounded by higher mountains. In fact, you can see four 14,000-foot (4,267 m) mountains from here, a couple of which I've climbed many years ago.
In North America, the Continental Divide separates the Atlantic and Pacific watersheds; any rain or snow that falls to the east of this pass eventually makes its way to the Atlantic ocean, and any that falls to the west eventually ends up in the Pacific. I hiked my way up a little above treeline, to around 12,000 feet (3,657 m) above sea level, and enjoyed the views very much.
With snow on the way (even at my house), high-elevation hiking season is probably over for this year.

9 comments:

  1. Love Colorado, and use to ski at Breckenridge, so I've been over Hoover Pass many times, but I have never walked over that Pass. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Inviting landscapes.
    I remember you mentioned Hoosier Pass on my Indepence Pass post. We were in CO again -- in the summer and I thoroughly enjoyed all my mini trips there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, high-elevation (which around here is anything over 6,000 feet) hiking is over unless you want to don snow shoes and you have very good map skills that don't rely on seeing the trail!!! Thanks for the brilliant panoramic views!

    ReplyDelete
  4. look awesome....
    I never experienced walking on 2 thousand meter above sea level of mountains.
    amazing pictures.

    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could take up hiking.

    Worth a Thousand Words

    ReplyDelete
  6. ·.
    I would also enjoy climbing those mountains. Today I climbed to one, a drop of 600 meters, in just over four hours, round trip.
    The mountain allows us to enjoy a healthy life and excellent views.
    Hugs

    LMA · & · CR

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful! I had the best catch-up time here this evenng! Enjoyed Japan, Cambridge, Colorado and California ... and loved every post. Thanks for sharing the joy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - I love reading them and look forward to viewing your blog. If you only allow Google+ comments I won't be able to leave a comment in return.

Related Posts with Thumbnails