Al's Photography Blog

Al's Photography Blog
Pikes Peak As Seen From Our House

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Skywatch Friday - Windsock

I recently climbed a local mountain, Mount Herman (elevation 9,063 feet, or 2,825 meters). It's a popular place for paragliders, but there weren't any this time, although I have some photos from a couple of years ago that I'll post before too long. This week's Skywatch Friday post was taken at the top, where someone has installed a good windsock to aid those adventurous souls.
To answer a couple of recent questions:

1. I'm not an expert on Yellowstone, but I believe it's buildups of various minerals (including sulfur, which is quite noticeable in the air) that causes the incredible colors in the pools and hot springs.

2. The green light from my first night shot in the July 21 post is from a house about a mile away. I don't know what causes the color.

3. A while back someone had asked if my little dog Socks actually walks on the hikes, or whether I carry him or put him in my backpack. Usually he walks the whole way, even on long hikes (he's hiked more than 6 miles with me and been ready to play when we get back home). On occasion he has to be picked up over the biggest steps, but he's very sure-footed even on steep terrain.

30 comments:

  1. Marvelous capture as always, Al! Love the colorful windsock and such lovely, summery skies! Hope you have a terrific weekend! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sky, and the windsock to help the flyers.

    Nice to have a 4-legged hiking companion that can hold his own, even with help from his friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great shot - it looks like it was a tad breezy up there at the top of the world! I really love the popcorn looking clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent, the blue color really holds the key to the beauty of this shot...

    Hi, I have hosted a small contest on my blog. Hereby leaving a special invitation to participate in it....

    Pixellicious Photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made it to the top of the mountain, Congratulations. The Sky is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful sky!

    Happy SWF weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I can hike along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful sky

    Regards, Bram

    Seen on Skywatch Friday

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shot say hi to Socks for me Have a good week XXX Don

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely blue sky you have. Finally summer eh?

    IDK how I didn't visit your MY WORLD post this week, but I love those public art installations.

    My sky is at http://ewok1993.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Al, I'm surprised it didn't blow you off the summit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ciao Al
    molto bella questa immagine ;-)
    Mi piace molto.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The wind sock capture is very rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The contrast between the colours of the wind sock and the sky is very attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love those bright colors against the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a great shot! those clouds are like cottons.

    by the way, i am your new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The windsock against the blue sky is simply awesome! That was what brought me to your site from SWF's page.

    You have a wonderful companion for your hike. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have not ever been to Yellowstone. I would love to see this great wonder of our land. I enjoy seeing the scenes you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This photo captures the joy of summer, of freedom! cheerful and lovely!
    (PS: Socks is a cute name!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is something else. A great composition! Love it happy weekend!
    SWF~Fiery

    ReplyDelete
  21. i'm sure the windsock aides many an adventurous souls too. great capture. hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love windsocks. Tbanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the bright colors! It must of been really windy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Must have been well worth the climbing to get a great view even thought there where no paragliders - great shot from the top!

    btw: I like your pictures from Yellowstone :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I remember asking your third question.

    The wind sock, the Japanese like them , one for each son.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - I love reading them and look forward to viewing your blog. If you only allow Google+ comments I won't be able to leave a comment in return.

Related Posts with Thumbnails