Al's Photography Blog

Al's Photography Blog
Pikes Peak As Seen From Our House

Monday, August 9, 2010

Little Ike Tunnel

Back in 1991, Colorado voters legalized limited-stakes gambling in three towns, one of which is Cripple Creek, on the other side of Pikes Peak from Colorado Springs. There is one major road in and out of town (State Highway 67), and it went through an old railroad tunnel (known as the Little Ike Tunnel), only wide enough for one lane, with a traffic light at either end so only one direction could go at a time.
You can imagine the fun with tour buses full of gamblers and lines of cars trying to get through. Anyway, in 1993 some structural issues were found with the tunnel and it was closed. The road was rebuilt around the tunnel and is now wide enough for one lane in each direction, so traffic flow is much better. Since then the tunnel has continued to deteriorate, as can be seen in the above photograph taken last weekend while I was hiking in the area. (The tunnel is closed by gates at either end so it's not possible to get inside.)

Visit the always-entertaining My World Tuesday page to see other peoples' worlds from around the globe.

Thank you to everyone who comments - I read every comment, even when they're on an old post. To catch up on a couple of recent questions from those comments:

1. I did not see anyone jumping or swimming around Firehole Falls, it looked very dangerous.

2. I most definitely do not chase tornadoes. I've seen an occasional funnel cloud but don't feel the need to go near them. Maybe I'll capture one on my camera one day but I haven't yet done so.

3. Socks is a Pomeranian.

28 comments:

  1. Ciao Al
    questo tunel mi sembra alquanto minaccioso...
    vedendolo da un'altra ottica invece... uno spiraglio di speranza verso una vita migliore ?
    Foto molto intrigante !!
    Buona giornata.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting old tunnel and history! Great shot! I can just imagine the traffic problems when it was still being used! What a nightmare that could have been! Enjoy your day, Al!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. ciao Al,this place is very charming, beautiful photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shot of the tunnel! Seeing the many things on the ground, it looks very dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to see the old tunnel renovated for foot traffic. Looks like an abandoned mine shaft.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never been to Cripple Creek, but now want to visit and see the old and new way to get to town. There are so many great places in Colorado! Thanks for sharing. ♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous-looking tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad it's fenced off as it's looking a bit dangerous now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shot. Remnants of a well-used tunnel from the past. It now looks lonely & sad in a way. If it had memories, it would have accumulated a lot of it (interesting ones) when it was still opened.

    Have a great week!

    Old Thyme Inn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting post and I love the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks more like a mining tunnel.

    www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

    and oh i'd love a pomeranian someday. are they good pets?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tunnels can be frightening and dangerous … except the one with a light at the end. :) Very interesting photo!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a great picture. i've always loved old structures like this. at a nearby state park there's a one way tunnel similar to this one that's still in use today. so, i understand fully what it means go through one at a time. have a great night.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, nowthis is the sort of post I adore, Al. I like your explanation just as much as your photo. I do hope that Ike's Tunnel is not just left to rot and fall in. How come did it get the name 'Little Ike' - anything to do with Eisenhower or did it predate him by decades? I am amazed that it withstood the rattles of the trains as they went through for all those years.

    Lovely post. Really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very interesting. Love the POV.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what an interesting perspective and love the shot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I, too, hope the tunnel is renovated for pedestrians. It's a wonderful old landmark. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  18. interesting story and photo from these tunnel

    Greetings, Bram

    Seen on My World Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very interesting but it seems like a dangerous place! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic lighting in your photo. Loved reading the history too.

    Tried to post a comment the last time & it got lost for some reason. Connection issues, I guess.

    Have a great week. Thanks for stopping by my page. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow I loved this post. Fascinating history and great shots of the tunnel. Thanks made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Absolutely wonderful photos! That tunnel is full of stories, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. spooky tunnel, interesting history behind it indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice tunnel photo Al. HKH2007, tunnel engineer :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. wonderful perspective showing light at either end of the tunnel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. helloooooo there? helloooooo there?

    You made it as though the tunnel goes on and on. Very good photography.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been to Cripple Creek.. Won $15 in nickels... I wish I knew about this incredible tunnel when I was in the area....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment - I love reading them and look forward to viewing your blog. If you only allow Google+ comments I won't be able to leave a comment in return.

Related Posts with Thumbnails